For the first time we are organising the Cycling for Libraries Croatian tour which will take us from the capital of Croatia, Zagreb along the Gorski Kotar Region (is famous the mountainous region in Croatia, because 63% of its surface is forested it is popularly called the green lungs of Croatia) until we’ll arrive in Rijeka, European Capital of Culture 2020 right in time for the opening of the new place in city – “Children’s House” and Tobogan Festival. Traditionally we will be visiting academic, public and special libraries, cultural sites and discussing library issues.
1 country, 5 cities, 200 km, 2 trains, 10+ library visits + one flash mob
- Accommodation at The Swanky Mint Hostel
- Free time
- Accomodation at the Swanky Mint Hostel.
- Organised Library visits (Zagreb city library, library of Technical school Zagreb, Croatian library for blind, Croatian academy of sciences and arts library, National and university library and Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences library)
- Organized Zagreb city tour
- Welcome party
Day 1 (65 km bike ride)
Starting point – National and University Library parking – location (GPS 45.797205, 15.976747)
8:00 – 9:00 Getting your rent bikes (payment and pick up of the bikes)
- City – Zagreb / National and University Library (parking) / starting point (GPS 45.797205, 15.976747)
- Cultural Heritage – Zavičajni muzej Donja Kupčina
- Library – Karlovac City Library
- Organized Karlovac City tour
- Touristic spot – Aquatica
- Optional dinner and party time in hostel
- Accomodation – Hostel Eva
Day 2 (40 km ride + 50 km train)
- City – Karlovac
- Cultural Heritage – Riding on a route of old historic road Karolina
- Cultural Heritage – Novigrad Castle
- Touristic spot – Toplice Lešće / lunch and possible refreshment in a natural water pools
- Library Generalski stol – local school library visit
- Train ride Generalski stol – Vrbovsko (1 hour)
- Acommodation – Mountain hut Kamačnik
- Natural Heritage – Kamačnik / Knjižničarski kotlić (Specially prepared Librarian Stew) and dinner party
Day 3 (30 km Train + 40km)
- City – Vrbovsko
- Library – Ivan Goran Kovacic City Library Vrbovsko
- Train ride Vrbovsko – Fužine (1 hour)
- City – Fužine
- Library – possible suprise
- Cultural Heritage – Lunch by the Bajer lake
- Natural Heritage – bike ride through beautiful landscape on the road Lič-Hreljin
- City – Bakar
- Library – Bakar City Library
- Accommodation – Hostel Esperanto
Day 4 (10 km)
- Library – City library Kostrena
- City – Rijeka
- Library – Rijeka City Library
- FLASH MOB – library advocacy event
- Cultural heritage – “Children’s House” and Tobogan Festival
- Cultural event – Cycling for Libraries party
- Accommodation at hostel
- Cultural heritage – Organized Walking City tour
- Bike rentals pick up
- Train trip back to Zagreb
- Different private options
(un)conference in brief
- Number of participants (limited): 50 maximum
- Number of days : 5 (+2 optional preconference days)
- Number of kilometers : around 200 km (total)
- Registration fee: 180€ for the whole tour, 210€ for the whole tour +1 preconference day or 230€ for the whole tour +2 preconference days
- The registration fee includes accommodation, breakfast & lunch, luggage transportation and train tickets
- Registration between: February 20th and March 20th 2020. : April 1st and May 1 st 2020.
- *You can participate in the route for one day free of charge (no food or accommodation included)
Organizers can help you in organizing bike rental from Fumić company. Organizers are responsible for all details in organization of delivery and pick up of bikes by Fumić company.
Bicycles to rent – (we recommend to look for a good MTB or trekking bike because of the rough terrain). Rental prices: 12-13 EUR per day + bike pick up service in Rijeka (total price of bike pick up in Rijeka is 500 – 600kn and it will be equally divided according to the number of bikes)
We invite participants to indicate bike rental in registration form, together with information of their height. Bike pick up, payment and testing will be organized early in the morning of Day 1. Participants that wish to rent a bike will get more information directly from the Fumić company using code: Cycling for Libraries Croatia 2020 on their website.
It is necessary to have:
- FUNCTIONAL bike (MTB or trekking bike, not a city bike). We suggest to service your bike before going for such a long ride.
- PHYSICAL CONDITION for riding demanding routes. You should be able to ride at least 80 km.
- IMPORTANT! The route is physically demanding, with a lot of slopes and it is necessary to be in good shape. Although we will ride mostly on asphalt and only partly on gravel road, it is necessary to wear a helmet at all times and have serviced MTB or trekking bike. You should also be concentrated at all times and know and obey rules for cycling in a group.
Contact & more info
You can contact us for more information via e-mail: email@example.com.